In just the past eight years, nearly a dozen states in the U.S. have legalized marijuana for recreational purposes, as have two entire countries (Uruguay in 2013 and Canada in 2015). This rapid liberalization of the laws surrounding cannabis has taken what was a black market product, and in many areas created a booming new legal industry, which currently employees hundreds of thousands of people full-time throughout the U.S. alone.
Although some of these jobs do not require degrees, many do. And even of the ones who don’t, having a degree – especially a cannabis-related or adjacent degree – can make you more appealing than other candidates to potential employers. With this in mind, if a career in cannabis is what you’re looking for, here are some cannabis university degrees to consider.
Universities Are Getting Into Cannabis
Although there are several reputable cannabis-based colleges and certification programs that are useful in learning about the marijuana industry and getting a job, it’s not just cannabis-only colleges that have cannabis-related classes and degrees – many mainstream public and private universities now offer marijuana classes, seminars and degrees.
This includes Colorado State University, the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy, the University of Washington, Northern Michigan University and many others.
Many Types Of Programs And Certificates
When it comes to cannabis degrees and certificates, there are a wide-range of different options.
- Oaksterdam University is a cannabis-based college which has certificate programs in horticulture and business
- THC University has certificate programs in CBD, Terpenes, Budtender Basics, Marijuana 101, Grow Basics, Cannabis Business and several others
- Numerous colleges such as Colorado State University, Stockton University and SUNY Morrisville have minor programs in cannabis studies
Here are a few examples of very specific Certificates that are currently available:
There are a number of marijuana growing certificates, which can help people achieve jobs growing cannabis for licensed marijuana cultivators. Or, it could help teach people how to properly grow their own cannabis.
- THC University offers certificates in both Grow Basics and Horticulture Specialist
- Green CulturED offers a Master Grower Certification
- The Cannabis Training University also offers a Master Grower Certification
We suggest if you are interested in growing, that you take a look at some books that can help you get some foundational learning before jumping into a university program or certificate.
Another popular certificate program related to marijuana is marijuana cooking certificates.
- The Cannabis Training University offers a Cooking With Marijuana certificate
- Grassroots University offers several marijuana cooking classes and certificates, including Baking With Marijuana 101, 102 and 103
- Cannabis Trainers offers certificates in Food Safety and Cannabsi Vendors
With the ever changing landscape of the cannabis industry, and regulations taking place at Federal, State/Province and local levels, legal certification are becoming very popular. Many businesses are looking for guidance as they launch their businesses and legal services are critically important.
Published: April 26, 2020
Founder & Interim Editor of L.A. Cannabis News